Buying an air conditioning system is an investment that will undoubtedly add to your comfort and happiness. In order to ensure your investment lasts and that it maintains peak functionality, there is some basic maintenance that you can likely handle yourself – just make sure you turn off the power before you start!
Keep the air conditioner and the area around it clean.
Cleaning your air conditioner will extend its life, but it will also add to your comfort and safety. This is because dirty air conditioners don’t function optimally, and they can lead to the growth and spread of mold! With this in mind, ensure the following tasks are done:
- By hand or with a wet/dry vacuum, clean the grill, filters, and condenser unit.
- Ensure any clogs in the drain pipe are cleared.
- Trim back all plants and foliage within approximately one meter of your air conditioning unit.
Check for damage.
- Inspect the fan, motor, compressor tubing and wires for signs of wear and tear. Call a professional if you find anything that looks like it might be damaged or corroded.
Top up refrigerant.
- Ensure your air conditioner has the proper refrigerant levels and adjust if required.
Don’t forget to check inside!
- If necessary, clean the blower, evaporator coil, fan motor and belt, ignition system, and safety controls.
- Make sure there aren’t any leaks in the ductwork. Ensuring the ducts are sealed will keep you cooler!
- Clean and replace the air filter.
Time to call in a professional?
- Your air conditioner needs professional maintenance once a year. Ensure your HVAC expert changes the filters, cleans and flushes the coils, drains the pan and drainage system, and cleans out the blower compartments.
- Refrigerant should also be topped up, leaks should be fixed, and all mechanical components should be inspected.
Staying on top of all of these tasks will ensure your air conditioner lasts and keeps you cooler for longer! Check out the FurnaceStore.ca for our line of affordable air conditioners!